Firewall Net tests, installation & configuration
FireWall Net - Guide installation configuration Firewalls

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

TGB::BOB a Firewall for PC

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Firewall-net.com Index du Forum -> Discussions
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Loredana
Invité

MessagePosté le: Sam 28 Avr, 2001    Sujet du message: TGB::BOB a Firewall for PC Répondre en citant

Hi Folks,

Recently I found out a new firewall for PC called BOB at http://www.thegreenbow.com

I like it too much bcz of its ease of use and its simplicity.
I would like to know if someone has already tried that software and how
secure and efficient is it ?

Thanx in advance
Loredana.
yves
Pilier

MessagePosté le: Dim 29 Avr, 2001    Sujet du message: Re: TGB::BOB a Firewall for PC Répondre en citant

Hi Loredana,

I haven't tried this piece of software yet, so I can't answer now. But your question is pretty worrisome: I dont find it very smart to use sofware that nobody tested before. And if Bob were a trojan ? There are snakes in the grass..

Is Bob a good or an evil guy ? Let's wait for feedback: the more we will get, the better.

Meanwhile, Let me give U a piece of advice: use firewall like Zone Alarm, Tiny Sofware,..., that have a reputation for being efficient and convenient.

And, If you wanna better your French: try Look'n'Stop!

Salutations distinguées. Yves
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Loredana
Invité

MessagePosté le: Dim 29 Avr, 2001    Sujet du message: Re: TGB::BOB a Firewall for PC Répondre en citant

Hi,

Thank you for ur advises even if I'm directely concerned with netwoks security.

I agree with you that we have to wait for wide feedback but let me tell u, that
if u don't test and use new products in all computer science fields means that
you are an old fashion ;-)

Anyway BOB is also in FRENCH !!!!!!!
I'm alreday familiar with many Firewall for PCs like Zone Alarm, Tiny software,
Conseal,Sphinx .... but when I tried TGB::BOB at http://www.thegreenbow.com I was really surprised !!! a good product and easy to use ... so why not tell the others about what I found ... maybe they like it !

Loredana.
yves
Pilier

MessagePosté le: Lun 30 Avr, 2001    Sujet du message: Re: TGB::BOB a Firewall for PC Répondre en citant

Hi Loredana,

My purpose was to stop you from using, as your standard firewall software, some stuff noboby knows. Clearly, you don't. No offence meant !

About testing, the question I often ask myself is : do I have to try every new stuff (I admit it's fun), or do I prefer focusing on cutting edge sofware, that bring the customer I am something new or better ?

Computer science and software industry are different. How many so-called "next generation firewall" are released per year ? And how many are more secure, more convenient to use, etc. ? fewer I guess...That's why I don't test new software without former feedback from professionals.

But I understand one can have a different viewpoint.

A+. Yves.
Mrs_Loredana
Invité

MessagePosté le: Lun 30 Avr, 2001    Sujet du message: Re: TGB::BOB a Firewall for PC Répondre en citant

Hi Yves,

NO OFFENCE MEANT when I posted my last message !
Thank u for saying that one can have a different viewpoint !

Anyway let's wait for feedback about BOB ! maybe u're right !

Thank u again.
Loredana.
yves
Pilier

MessagePosté le: Lun 30 Avr, 2001    Sujet du message: BOB, the archer with a green bow Répondre en citant

Hi Loredana,

I've just received a e-mail from a buddy of mine who has tested BOB . He lives in Paris, France, he cannot possibly know U, unless you're an au pair girl - but that would be Ms, not Mrs Sad(

He used the following security sites:
grc.com
dslreports.com/scan
scan.sygatetech.com/

About incoming bounds:
That's OK, all ports seems to be either "closed" or "stealth", the TCP/UDP/ICMP tests are good.

Of course, more sophisticated testing could reveal a weakness.

About outgoing bounds: bad news !
- You cannot define authorized protocols (TCP/UDP,..) nor authorized ports,
- the authorized applications are referred by their DOS name (Path + filename), no encrypted base is used, and consequently the firewall can be fooled by masquerading.

In addition to this:
- programs like anonymisers or cookie crushers stop working, It is simply as if you didn't run any,
- no real time alarm is generated (e.g.pop-up window),
- the alarm list is confusing: just one single type (flood) is reported, whatever the attack was.

In short:
I know I burst your bubble, but BOB is not the right guy to make U happy.

Il y a des jours, comme ça...

Yves.
Loredana
Invité

MessagePosté le: Lun 30 Avr, 2001    Sujet du message: Re: BOB, the archer with a green bow Répondre en citant

Hi Yves,

I don't think I know that guy. If possible, can u send me his email address?
If u're interested then let me know Wink I'm just kidding !

Glad to hear that u received a feedback about Bob. Now ur comments are welcome !

Here I provide deep information about Bob :

- Incoming and outgoing connection are COMPLETLY controled by BOB. Bob user is the only one who can decide to open a NEW PORT , NEW CONNECTION ... So incoming or outgoing connection is autorized ( or blocked ) according to user demand : BOB runs according to user choices and habitudes.

- Concerning referred applications. Starting from version 2.10 all application paths are signed and encrypted, so even malicious application are not authorized

- Concerning alarms : THEY ARE REALTIME, you friend MISSED the right pannel !!!! he has to click on the Alarm button and then he can see 3 windows :
Alarms : flood/scan ... , Historic : last conections and Activity : current activities and open connections. Bigger scan/flood detection algorithms are also included in Ver 2.10

Thank u for ur feedback and comments.
Loredana.
yves
Pilier

MessagePosté le: Mar 01 Mai, 2001    Sujet du message: Re: BOB, the archer with a green bow Répondre en citant

Bonjour Loredana,

The release my friend tested was 2.04 French (evaluation), the one you can download from TheGreenbow.com.; not 2.10.

Is 2.10 a new release, how to find it ?

A bientôt ! Yves.
Loredana
Invité

MessagePosté le: Mer 02 Mai, 2001    Sujet du message: Re: BOB, the archer with a green bow Répondre en citant

Hi Yves,

BOB version 2.10 is under heavy tests now. It will be available for
download by the end of this week or the begining of the next one.

So HOLD ON ;-)

Loredana.
Antoine
Nouveau

MessagePosté le: Jeu 03 Mai, 2001    Sujet du message: Re: BOB, the archer with a green bow Répondre en citant

Hi Loredana,
I am also using TGB::BOB! and must admit that I was puzzled at first, because I couldn't find any of the usual configuration screens and endless tables to fill in.
Finally I decided to trust the beast and give it a try.
After about half a day it had self-configured itself and since then I only look up the alerts from time to time (mostly because some dude tried to scan me on my cable connection).
I also had a couple of DOS attacks, but TGB::BOB! kept them at bay ;-0
I'm quite happy with it so far and think I even might purchase it - do you know if I can buy it online somewhere ??
Antoine
Loredana
Invité

MessagePosté le: Ven 04 Mai, 2001    Sujet du message: Re: BOB, the archer with a green bow Répondre en citant

Hi Antoine,

To purchase TGB::BOB go to :

- http://www.thegreenbow.com/english/bob_dwn.html ( English version )
- http://www.thegreenbow.com/bob_dwn.html ( French version )

Loredana.
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Firewall-net.com Index du Forum -> Discussions Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: